Tuesday, March 12, 2013

DECA State Competition

The weekend of March 1-3 in Virginia Beach my students competed at the state DECA conference. This is always one of the highlights of our year, but it is also one of the most stressful and exhausting weeks/weekends for me. This year we had a state officer so I went on Wednesday with her to prepare. My 21 other students came on Friday and the events began. I also had a few former students come visit. It is always rewarding to hear about their successes since high school and find out that I have had an impact on their life. Competition ended Sunday with Grand Awards and we had quite a few finalists. We ended up having 4 students qualified for the international competition, which will be April 23-29 in Anaheim, CA. What do you do after you win at states? You go to Disneyland!!!

Seriously though, as hard as I work and as exhausted as I am after this event, it always reminds me of what I do this for when I see my students accomplish such amazing things and be so proud of themselves. It's such a wonderful feeling and I'm such a proud teacher/advisor/sort of parent of all of my amazing students!

With my state officer Lexy
The 2012-2013 VA State Officer Team - Love these kids!
My chapter - and that is the DECA Diamond we are making
Two of my chapter officers after we received our first award


One of our written event competitors
A few of our winners and my Outstanding Advisor Award
Kiara (on the left) won 1st place and Emily won 3rd place!
Our chapter President and I have been through a lot and she has done a wonderful job

0 comments: