Sunday, April 12, 2009

Tanner's Arrival and First Day at Home!

On Wednesday we had everything ready and we got up to head to the hospital for Tanner's birthday! Noah's sister Theresa came to stay with Izabel which Izabel was very excited about. Since I had a c-section with Izabel I was pretty sure I knew what to expect this time but I was way wrong. They got me ready just like before and monitored me and the baby until it was time for surgery. They gave me an epidural which hurt just as bad as I remember only this time they didn't give me the same amount so I wasn't as numb as before. I started getting nauseous so the doctor gave me something so I wouldn't throw up and I must have fallen asleep because the next thing I know they are pulling Tanner out. I saw him over the curtain and heard him cry and then it all goes kind of fuzzy because I was in so much pain. The doctor kept giving me more pain medicine but it didn't help like it should have. Noah brought Tanner over for me to see and hold but I don't remember that either! When I was finally in less pain and a little relaxed I was on my way to recovery which went really well. I was only there for about 45 minutes and then they took me up to my room. I was bleeding more than normal so they had to give me some extra meds and massage my uterus to get it to contract but other than that I was fine and most importantly Tanner was fine and very healthy!
They finally brought him to me and he latched on the very first time I tried to nurse him. Izabel did not do so well with nursing at first so it was exciting that I wouldn't have to struggle so much with getting Tanner to eat. Theresa brought Izabel up to meet Tanner and she did so much better than we expected. She loved seeing him and when we asked where he was she pointed to him instead of my stomach. She was okay watching everyone hold him and she was even okay with my being in the bed and not being able to pick her up. She didn't like my IV but who could blame her for that!
The next couple days we had visitors come in and out and we pretty much just watched tv and hung out with Tanner. We slept as much as we could. Tanner passed all of his tests and was eating well but still losing a little more weight than they would have liked. On Saturday we were discharged and we brought Tanner home weighing 8lbs 3oz. Of course moving around is very hard for me and my milk has come in so that is pretty uncomfortable but I am doing better than I was at this point with Izabel so hopefully things will continue to go well. Izabel was so excited when we got home with Tanner and she wanted to be next to him all the time. She thinks he is a new toy for her to play with and it was really hard to give her all the attention she needs.
Noah is busy doing everything for me and Tanner as well as Izabel but hopefully I'll be moving around more soon. The first night couldn't have gone better. Izabel slept through the night and Tanner got up to eat every 3-4 hours and went right back to sleep after he was done. We'll see how things go from here on out! We know it won't be easy but we're excited to have them both home and doing well. Enjoy a few pictures from the hospital and our first day at home!

Giving Tanner loves
She wants to hold him all the time
Sleeping peacefully
Time to go home!
1st ride in the car
Hanging out in the swing
Sleeping some more


florest family said...

love the cheeks! congrats :)

Diana and Allen Rolland said...

What a cutie pie - Congratulations!

Courtney said...

How cute!!! So, the important question is: when are you going to update your header to say family of FOUR??? :)